Ratatouille recipes vary according to the cook the region, or the season. This dish is great year-round. During the summer months, I like to use fresh vegetables picked from my own garden. Ratatouille can be served either hot or cold as a light, easy dinner. Ratatouille may be topped with grated Parmesan cheese at the table. The ingredients are traditionally sautéed in olive oil and can be served over rice or potatoes, preferably with a crusty French bread.
The following recipe is a vegan dish, containing no animal products. This is a great dish to serve at a dinner party where both omnivores and vegans are invited.
Ratatouille as prepared here is a relatively low-fat dish. The only fat in it comes from the olive oil. This dish is also fairly low-sodium. Since the dish is made from delicious, fresh vegetables, reducing the amount of salt fairly easy.
- 1 medium sized Red Onion, chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 medium Eggplant, diced
- 5 Roma Tomatoes seeded and diced.
- 2 medium Zucchini, diced into diced
- 1 Bell pepper, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Herbes De Provence
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf Parsley ,minced
- Sea Salt and fresh ground Black Pepper to taste
- Sauté the onion and Garlic until tender
- Add Eggplant and Tomatoes, bring to simmer
- Add the Bell pepper
- Simmer, covered for 15 minutes
- Add the Zucchini and stir.
- Cover and simmer for 10-15 more minutes until vegetables soft
- Remove from heat
- Stir in the Herbes De Provence.
- Season with Salt and Pepper to taste
- Garnish with chopped Parsley
- Egg noodles
- Boiled, cubed Potatoes