I love coconut milk and just about any dish that uses it as an ingredient. Caribbean Coconut Chicken is a fragrant and slightly spicy dish that pairs well with yellow rice. The ancho pepper adds a mild heat that plays well with the sweetness of the onion and coconut milk.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1frac12; yellow onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Ancho Peppers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped roasted garlic
- 1 cup coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 425° F (220° C).
- In a large skillet, fry chicken breast in vegetable oil until the chicken just begins to brown.
- Stir onions, ancho peppers and red bell peppers into the skillet with the chicken.
- Sauté the onions until they are translucent.
- Stir in the roasted garlic and coconut milk.
- Cook the mixture 5 to 8 minutes then remove the skillet from the heat.
- Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Transfer the mixture to a 9x13 inch baking dish .
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the vegetables cook down and the chicken is tender.