I am still on my middle eastern food making binge. Here is another one of the recipes I like a lot. Since I have said to hummus and tabouli make a good pairing; I should give you the recipe for one of my favorite salads.
Tabouli is a refreshing bulgar wheat salad combining tomatoes, green onions, cucumber. fresh flat leaf parsley, fresh mint leaves, olive oil and lemon juice. The bright lemon flavor is great for cleaning your palette and waking up your taste buds. I like it as an appetizer, side dish with a meat course, or for a light lunch with some hummus and pita bread.
- 1¼ cup bulgar wheat fine grind
- 2 cups boiling water
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1¼ cup green onions chopped
- 1¼ cup fresh flat leaf parsley chopped
- ½ cup fresh mint chopped
- 1½ cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1¼ cup cucumber - peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1¼ teaspoon Kosher or Sea salt
- coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- Combine bulgar and boiling water in a large bowl.
- Cover, and set aside to soak for 1 hour.
- Finely chop the parsley and mint.
- Chop the green onions.
- Peel cucumber, remove the seeds.
- Slice the cucumber into thin strips, dice finely.
- Dice and chop the tomatoes.
- Juice the lemons strain out the seeds
- Once the bulgar has cooled, but still warm uncover the bowl.
- Fluff the bulgar with a fork to separate the grains,
- Add oil, lemon juice, stir until the grains are coated.
- Stir in the onions, parsley, mint, tomatoes, and cucumber
- Toss the ingredients to combine them.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. 24 is better.