For the beans:
- In a 6 quart stock pot, combine all of the ingredients.
- 2 pounds white beans (dry weight)
- 2 ½ quarts chicken stock
- 4 smoked ham hocks
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced, or about 1 tablespoon
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Simmer until the beans are tender, approx. 1 ½ hrs (this will vary).
- Drain the beans and reserve liquid.
- Pick out the bay leaves.
- When the ham hocks are cool to the touch, pick the meat off the bones,
- roughly chop it and set aside.
For the garnish:
- 2 chickens, cut up
- Creole seasoning, recipe below
- 1 cup flour seasoned with 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- ½ cup diced bell pepper
- ½ cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 pound smoked sausage
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Reserved cooking liquid from the beans, still warm
- 1 cup tomatos diced
- Salt and pepper
- Bread crumb crust, recipe below
- Heat a 6 quart Dutch oven to medium high heat.
- Season the chicken generously with creole seasoning
- Dredge in the seasoned flour.
- Add the olive oil to the pan and lightly brown the chicken.
- Remove them from the pan and place them on paper towels.
- Add the onion, bell pepper and celery to the pan.
- Cook for 5 minutes, scraping the pan periodically.
- Add the garlic and the smoked sausage and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup of the seasoned flour and stir to form a roux.
- Add additional flour as needed to form a stiff roux.
- Cook the roux for 5 minutes, constantly stirring.
- Cook until roux is the color of peanut butter.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce to the roux & vegetables in the pan.
- Slowly add the stock from the beans, stirring to dissolve the roux.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, the chicken, and reserved ham hock meat.
- Take a taste and adjust the seasoning with some salt and pepper.
- Add the beans to the pot and mixing all the ingredients well.
- Top with breadcrumb mixture and bake in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes, or until bubbly and crust is golden brown and crispy.
- 2 ½ tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Bread crumb crust:
- 2 cups unseasoned bread crumbs
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 egg yolks
Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse for 30 seconds until combined.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 2 hours 45 minutes