No matter how you spell it these Polish or Ukrainian Christmas cookies are wonderful addition to any Christmas cookie list. These flaky pastry like delicacies were always the first to disappear during the holidays. My mother would make them by the gross. It was a very big family and they all were Kolatchki junkies. You can use any flavor filling you prefer, but most of the ones I have seen were either apricot, cherry, and almond. If you do not have a large family, or you are a dainty eater, you can scale the recipe easily. Just scale down the amount of flour, butter, cream cheese and filling.
- 1 lb unsalted butter
- 4 cups flour
- 1 lb Cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten with 2 teaspoons water for egg wash
- 2 cans Solo canned filling
- Whisk together flour and salt in a bowl until combined.
- Beat cream cheese and butter in a large bowl until pale and creamy.
- Add flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces and wrap each in plastic wrap.
- Chill until firm, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Put oven rack in middle position
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Divid the dough into 8 equal pieces
- Roll the dough between sheets of well-floured wax paper into an 11" square.
- If dough gets too soft, and chill until firm.
- Discard top sheet of wax paper
- Trim dough with a pastry wheel or sharp knife into a 10-inch square.
- Cut square into 4 equal strips
- Cut crosswise in fourths again to form a total of 16 squares.
- Place 1 heaping teaspoon filling in center of each square.
- Brush 2 opposite corners with egg wash
- Bring the coated corners together and pinch firmly to adhere.
- If dough becomes too soft, freeze it on a baking sheet for a few minutes.
- Arrange cookies 2 inches apart on baking sheet.
- Bake 17 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Transfer with a metal spatula to racks to cool completely.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar .
- Make more cookies with remaining dough and filling on a lined cooled baking sheet.
makes around 128 cookies.