Hen of the Woods Fritters
This experiment turned out quite well. This may become a favorite seasonal recipe, A light, crispy and very tasty batter filled with fragrant succulent mushroom shreds.
- 1 ½ cups hen of the woods mushrooms
- 1 cup flour
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- cold beer
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Pull apart the mushroom into long thin strands.
- Beat the yolks of the eggs well.
- Add the flour, beating very lightly.
- Add the melted butter and the dry ingredients.
- Thin with water to the consistency of a very thick crepe.
- Add the egg whites beaten to a stiff froth.
- Dip the shredded mushroom into the batter.
- Immerse them well at one dipping.
- Lift out with a large cooking spoon.
- Drop into 350 degree oil and fry to a golden brown.
- Drain well and serve immediately.
These make a great appetizer or side dish. Try it with your favorite dipping sauce. The batter must be thick enough to coat the shredded mushroom all around in one immersion, yet it must not be so thick as to be heavy or tough.
Makes 4 servings.