Vodka sauce is a pinkish sauce made from a red sauce, vodka, cream, cheese and butter. The vodka added to the sauce brings out flavor in the tomato in a basic red sauce was first used in the 80's. At the time it was all the rage.The taste the alcohol evaporates in cooking, but gives the sauce a peppery taste that tickles the tongue. Most recipes pair it with penne pasta. Personally I love it with the addition of either Italian sausage or meatballs
- 1 quart Simple Tomato Sauce, or store-bought marinara sauce, blended until smooth
- 1 cup vodka
- ½ cup heavy cream, at room temperature
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened butter
- Simmer the tomato sauce and vodka in a heavy large skillet over low heat until the mixture reduces by ¼, stirring often, about 20 minutes.
- Stir the cream into the tomato and vodka sauce.
- Simmer over low heat until the sauce is heated through.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese and butter until melted and well blended.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm, stirring occasionally, about 8 to10 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the pan with the sauce.
- Toss to coat.