Granita is a refreshing warm weather treat. You can serve it as a dessert, or between courses. Granita is light, palate cleansing, and easy to make. This recipe is a good place to start on your journey into frozen desserts.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 cups fruit juice
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Combine the sugar and water in a medium saucepan.
- Heat the mixture until it comes to a boil
- Stir until the sugar dissolves, and the mixture is clear.
- Let the simple syrup cool to room temperature.
- Stir in the fruit juice and lemon juice.
- Pour the mixture into a 13"x9" metal baking dish.
- Put the baking dish in the freezer.
- Stir the mixture every 30 minutes until it is firm.
- Every 20 minutes take the pan out of the freezer.
- Scrape the frozen mixture with a fork
- Scrape until the frozen pieces are broken into small shavings.
- Mix the shavings into the remaining liquid.
- Return to the freezer.
- Scrape every twenty minutes until all the liquid has frozen.
- Place the granita in a sealable container.
- Store the granita in the freezer till ready to serve.
Serving your granita in a wine glass garnished with a sprig of mint or a small fruit slice makes for a simple but elegant presentation to brighten up your table.