The leaves have not begun to turn yet but the change is in the air. Autumn has arrived and the pace of harvesting and processing food for the long hard winter is in full swing. The orchards are pressing cider, the markets are full of this season's bounty and wild mushrooms are beginning to pop up.
Some Seasonal Food Recipes
Red Cabbage Hunter's Pot
This dish is influenced by Polish and Eastern European Cooking. It is a great cold weather meal using many of the autumn harvest fruits and vegetables.
- 1 large head Red Cabbage, roughly shredded
- 1 large Red Onion, crescent cut
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil
- 3 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 pound Smoked Sausage,
- ½ pound Slab Bacon, cubed
- 1 Large Bay Leaf (Laurel)
- 1 tsp Caraway Seeds, roasted
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- ¼ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ tsp Black Pepper, coarse ground
- 1 cup Apple Cider, Fresh-Unfiltered
- ½ Chicken Broth or Stock
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 3 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 3 tbsp Cider Vinegar
- Roast the caraway seeds in a large dry skillet.
- Keep the seeds moving so they do not burn.
- Remove when the seed color turns a bit gray.
- Set the seeds aside to cool.
- Combine the cider, chicken broth and vinegar.
- Add the mustard, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Mix well and reduce in a saucepan.
- Remove from the heat and reserve.
- Heat a heavy wall casserole
- Add the oil to the casserole.
- add the bacon and onion to the oil
- Cook till the start to turn transparent
- add the garlic and red pepper
- Add the sausage and stir well
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the food from the casserole.
- Drain well so the fats go back into the pan, we will use this.
- Lightly sauté the cabbage until it is beginnng to wilt.
- The surface should be glistening and you hear a sizzle.
- Add the caraway seeds and bay leaf, stir.
- Add the meat and onion to the cabbage.
- Stir Well to combine all the ingredients.
- Add the cider sauce and toss well.
- Reduce heat, cook covered till cabbage is just tender.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings
- A good pint of hard cider
- Rye Bread
- Lentil and Leeks Soup
- Roast Rosemary, Apple Stuffed Chicken
- Small Boiled Red Potatoes dressed with Parsley Butter
- Thick Egg Noodles in a Sour Cream Dill Sauce
- Hot Caramelized Cinnamon Apples on a scoop of French Vanilla Ice cream.