I am taking a break from the Mediterranean tour today. I am in a serious grilling mood and a grilled Chimichurri covered steak sounds good to me. This sauce also works well with skewered grilled shrimp. Grill some up with a steak for a tasty surf and turf. Marinade the beef for 2 hours, and the shrimp for 1 hour, grill and serve with more sauce.
Chimichurri is a pesto style sauce and marinade used with grilled meat in Argentina and Uruguay It is usually the only seasoning used for steak and chorizo sausages in Argentine asados. It can also be used as a marinade for any kind of grilled meat.
- 3/4 cup extra virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh Lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh Lime juice
- 1/2 cup minced fresh Cilantro
- 6 cloves crushed Garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped or crumbled fresh or 1 teaspoon dried Oregano.
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 2 minced Shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced Basil, Thyme or Oregano, or mixture
- Kosher Salt and Course ground Black Pepper to taste
- Puree all ingredients in food processor.
- Reserve 1/4 of a cup for use as a marinade.
- Transfer remaining sauce to a bowl.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature.